The following is an outline of the band citizenship and membership
requirements to show the initial guidelines which are being used.
All Citizens and/or Members must provide Native America Indian
ancestral documentation such as -
- Family Records / Birth Certificates / Genealogy Records &
- Family Oral Traditions / Stories / Recognition Statements.
- Family Pictures / Family Artifacts.
- Family Historical References / Community or Native American
Indian Community Recognition.
To be considered as a Citizen you must prove to be -
- Descendant from Baseline Pennacook / Abenaki / Wabanaki
Family Groups (Clans).
- Children of Pennacook / Abenaki.
- Descendant from a Pennacook / Abenaki or Inter-related
Wabanaki Algonquin Confederation Family Group
To be considered as a Members you must prove to be -
- Spouses of Citizens on Band Records.
- Descendant of a multi-generational Native American Indian
(Wabanaki, Algonquin, Northern/Eastern Woodland, or
Iroquoian) family group living within our Wabanaki
tribal families (clans).
- Adopted by Band Council Action.
Citizen and/or Member status may be changed, rescinded, or terminated
due to any of the following situations, omissions, actions, or facts -
- Questionable Documentation and/or Admission.
- Non-compliant Native American Indian ancestry.
- Records and/or Documents (Incomplete, Missing, or Unknown).
- Falsification of Records and/or Documentation.
- Unauthorized "Citizenship Status" with another Native
American Indian Group.
- Lost Members - Address Unknown.
- Spouses in Divorce or Separation Situations other than Death
- Failure to comply with the Rights and/or Responsibilities of
Citizenship or Membership of the Band as determined
by Band Council action.
- Personal Individual or Family Group Request to be removed
from Band records.
- Band Council Action to change status as citizen or member or
to be removed from Band records.
Back to The Government of the Cowasuck Band Main Page